Updated on December 20, 2006 - Under construction
Bowell Cemetery was located in the SE 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of Section 2, Twp. 3N (Kankakee), Range 2W, La Porte Co., IN. The land, 20 rods x 10 rods, for the cemetery was deeded by Antipas J. and Susan M. Bowell on 5 May 1864 to John Bowell Senior "expressly to him and his posterity for a Burying Ground." It is presumed that burials of members of the Bowell family who died prior to 1864 were buried on this site, even as early as 1835.
"John Bowell died on the 10th of April, 1866, and Elizabeth, his wife, one week previously. Both were buried on the same spot, as near as it could be ascertained, where they first encamped in the township." [Packard, Jasper, History of LaPorte County, Indiana, 1876. p. 122]
The cemetery was abandoned and all remains were removed to Pine Lake and Rolling Prairie Cemeteries between 1917 and early 1920's. Research is ongoing in order to ascertain burials in Bowel Cemetery. For inquiries as to burials or give information on burials, please contact the webmaster.
If you have additional information please - Contact Deanna West at email@example.com
Dr. B. C. Bowell - Death of an Aged Doctor. Dr. B. C. Bowell of Laporte, age 82 years, father of Coroner Bo Bowell, died this noon of a complication of diseases. Michigan City News, Michigan City, IN, Wed. 2 Apr. 1902, p. 8. c. 5 Bodies were later moved to Pine Lake Cemetery
Ora H. Bowell - passed away Sunday at his home at Salina, Mich. He lived formerly at Rolling Prairie. He is related to Dr. Bo Bowell, L. V. Oglesby and others in LaPorte and has a brother Chas. Bowell, in Chicago. He leaves a wife and children. Michigan City News, Michigan City, IN, Wed. 9 Jan. 1909, p. 4, c. 2
Physical facts on Bowell Cemetery
In SE 1/4, SE 1/4, S2, T37N, RW Bowell cemetery property location.
1862 Map of L. P. Co. land is owned by A.J. Bowell - no cemetery marked
A. C. Bowell also owns land in S4, 9 & 16
A. L. Bowell owns land in S 11
B. C. Bowell owns land in S 3
1876 Atlas of L.P. Co. land is owned by R. J. Bowell - no cemetery marked
1892 Atlas of L. P. Co. land is owned by O. (Orilda Bowell) Drummond - cemetery marked
1907 Atlas of L. P. Co. land is owned by B. F. Birchim - cemetery marked
1921 Atlas of L. P. Co. land is owned by B. F. Birchim - cemetery marked The fact that the cemetery is marked is interesting since 9 graves are recorded moved to Pine Lake Cemetery on 16 Oct. 1917. Donna Nelson on of LaPorte County researchers found that graves were being moved as late as the 1930's from this cemetery.
LaPorte Cemeteries main page