The oldest church in Hudson township is Maple Grove United Methodist Church and it is also one of the oldest in the county of LaPorte.
Once the church was loved and guided by Reverend James Armstrong who was the pioneer circuit rider and would hold services at various Maple Grove residents' homes. William Thomas heard the prayers of the church by donating land where the church would be built at.
Many families in the area donated timber and William Valentine donated his saw mill for the sawing of the timber for the building. The labor of love for the actual construction of the building was donated by surrounding communities. All denominations assisted in this project. A gentleman named, George Searls supervised the building.
Maple Grove church was dedicated on February 2, 1868. It was at the dedication that an outstanding debt of 536$ was standing against the property but before the meeting was dismissed, the money was raised.
The first dedication sermon was preached by Dr. D. Holmes of South Bend, Indiana with Reverend M Claypool of Rolling Prairie and John Leach assisting. A second dedication took place on September 30th of the same year.
The church sat in a little wooded knoll with many maple trees growing. The cemetery sits to the East of the cemetery. In the olden days there were hitching rails which extended from the church down into the grove, accessbile to both visitors and members from the East and the West.
It is assumed that the assisting dedicating minister, Reverend M. Claypool of Rolling Prairie served the for its first several years. The first recorded minister was Elijah R Johnson in the year 1890. ...........
Through the history of Maple Grove, it has never been without a Sunday School. Lycurgus Jeffries was the first recorded Sunday School Teacher in 1890. During the 1920's the curch attendance was often as low as six or eight people, but the Sunday School was tenaciously held together through those years by the most faithful women. Mrs. Ernest Jeffries and Mrs. Ben White.
George Ray, Alvah J. Hicks, William Mayes, J. A. Davidson and Lycurgus Jeffries were the first trustees to serve the church. And the first Stewards were: Milton Thompson, William H Valentine and A. J. Hicks.
If you have a query or additional information on this cemetery please contact us at email@example.com.
Cemeteries of LaPorte County