La Porte County Humane
Photos and information contributed by: Doug Snyder
Up to the mid 1940's the La Porte police department was in charge of picking up stray dogs and disposing of them. The department really was not set up financially or trained in dealing with these strays. It was a lose, lose situation for both man and man's best friend.
In the 1940's Charles Frederick Pahrman, who had a true love for dogs, saw the need to have them treated lovingly and fairly. He stepped forward to care for these lost and stray animals. He found many strays good homes and through the 1950's devoted much of his time to these creatures. On the 5th of May 1959, he was presented with honors and a life time membership to the Humane Society.
Click on photos for larger images!
Honary Letter to Mr. Pahrman
Below are photos for the Shelter care givers: Charles Pahrman and animal shelter assistant, Louise Diederich. The shelter was located near where Fox Memorial Park is today.
It was up on a little hill at the corner of Truesdale & Hoelocker by Allis Chalmers & Clear Lake.
And does anyone recognize the two young girls shown below with Boots, a rescued pet. Boots was the first dog saved ?
Animal Shelter 1950's
Charles Pahrman with rescued dog.
Assistant Louise Diederich 1950's
Boots first dog to escape death sentence & found home
by the LaPorte Humane Society
Return to Index Page