This page under construction. In time
we hope to gather many of the histories of the churches pictured below. But
this all takes time. If you have a history on any of the
LaPorte County Old Houses of Worship and would like to share it with us and/or contribute photos of the same,
contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Also See the History of LaPorte County where many are mentioned.
Stillwell , Pleasant Twp
Maple Grove Methodist Church
Tracy Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church
Maple Grove Methodist Church built1868 - The Hudson Grove Methodist Church is the oldest church in Hudson Township. Rev. James Armstrong was a circuit riding minister that tended to this flock which met in various private homes. William Thomas donated land for the church to be built on. For sawing the lumber for the church, William Valentine use of his saw mill. And labor for building the church was done by several volunteers in the area. George Searles supervised the building. And the church was dedicated on February 2, 1868. Decation of the church was preached by: Dr. D. Holmes of South Bend, Indiana along with Reverend M. Claypool of Rolling Prairie and John Leach assisting. Reverend M. Claypool served the church in its first years. First minister on records for the church is Elijah R. Johnson in the year os 1890. In that same year, Lucurgus Jefferies was the first recorded Sunday School Teacher.
The Tracy Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church - built 1875 - Histories sought.
Pleasant Township Churches
Friends Church - at Stillwell - -built in 1893. The first minister was Charles O. Whitely. Charter members of the Friends church were: Mr. and Mrs. Herman Jack, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Kincaid and Mr. and Mrs. Will Cain. Union Grove Bethel Church later merged with this church.
Salem Chapel - built in 1853 by the Methodists on land donated
by J. G. McCasky and building construction by Wesley P. Wilkens who was also
the pastor at that time.
Charter members were Mr. and Mrs. J. G. McCasky, Mr. and Mrs. George Bosserman. Some of the early miniters were Rev. John Harmon and REv. Waxham. Other early parishoners were:
Griffin Treadway, John Crandill, George Havens, W. A.. Place, Stephen Norton, W. W. Burhans, Ziba Bailey, D. E. & I. B. Coplin, Wm. Everhart, John Rust, G. W. Stewart, Charles V. Wing, Seth Way, Curtis and John B. Travis and the Lomax family members. In the early 1900's the church was vacant for sometime. But about in 1908 Salem Chapel was again opened to have Sunday School. Mrs. Thomas Donfee acted as superintendent. Soon after preaching services were offered in the afternoon held by Rev. Guenther and Rev. Nordoff who also preached at the German Methodist Church of LaPorte city. When the two church here and the Methodist Church in Laporte consolidated, the services at Salem Chapel were conducted by: Rev. A. T. Briggs, Alpha Kenna, Russell Phillips and Clyde Lininger of the Methodist Church in LaPorte. Later when the duties became too much, the church joined with Door Village and Miss Esther Miller was the first minister.
A newer chapel was built in 1885,= and remained in use until 1976. A new Salem Methodist Church was then built.
Washinton Township Churches
Baptist Church at Kingsbury- built 1851 - First Baptist Church and Cemetery. The Baptist Church was built in 1851 in the Greek Revival style. The building is very handsome with the pilastered corners (recessed columns) typical of the style. Located behind the church is its own graveyard along with Winchell Cemetery, which was moved from the ordnance plant site.
La Porte County Indiana Gen Web